Friday, August 29, 2008

Versailles, KY

So Carrie lives next to an older lesbian couple, which is cool. But take a look at this photo and what they call their shed. Slightly amusing.Alright. Failsafe for any state that you're in/any state that you've never been in before, and want to experience some local culture, go to a local distillery, or a microbrewery, or what have you. Today, EGo and I took a tour of Woodford Distillery.

My god. This place was like, heaven on earth. It smelled soooooo good. Nothing like the smell of sour mash that's being made into bourbon whiskey. This vat was ten feet across, and about twelve feet deep:
People actually drop shit into this thing by accident, because YES, this is exactly how close I was when I took the picture. AND MY GOD DID IT SMELL DELICIOUS.
They took us into the storage warehouse. These barrels all contain bourbon that's being aged. Oh man, it smelled even better in there.

I have a few more pictures but I'm not going to be crazy tourist girl and post them all here. All I can tell you is that this was a very, very small distillery, and the tour was awesome. There was a small tasting afterwards. EGo and I agree that the bourbon there tastes better without ice. Adding ice brings out all sorts of flavors that I'd never tasted before in a whiskey/bourbon ever, and I don't really think I liked it.

Later on, Carrie took us to dinner at this hippie pizza joint, where we drank so much Kentucky Ale (again, local brewed, most excellent) that I thought I was going to explode. Well, that, combined with the ten inch Hawaiian pizza that I only managed to eat half of. Not a part of the Clean Plate Club today. Oh, well.

Now we're chilling at her place, watching Wet Hot American Summer, which I love, and drinking more beer. One of these days when I'm in Kentucky, I'll get a real mint julep.

No comments: